Tourism in New Zealand – Do you need a visa?

Tourism comprises an important sector of the New Zealand economy, directly contributing NZ $ 12.9 billion (or 5.6%) of the country’s GDP in 2016. It also provided 188,000 full-time jobs in New Zealand. Tourism indirectly contributes to another 4.3% of GDP (or NZ $ 9.8 billion).

Despite the country’s geographical remoteness, international tourist spending accounted for 17.1% of New Zealand’s export earnings (almost NZ $ 12 billion). International and domestic tourism, in total, contributes NZ $ 34 billion to the New Zealand economy every year.

From 1 October 2019, Visitors from visa waiver countries must request an (ETA before arriving in New Zealand. You may have to pay an International Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). For more information on the ETA and IVL, visit the New Zealand Immigration website.

On arrival, your passport must be valid for at least three months after your intended date of departure.

Before traveling to New Zealand, you must make sure that your passport is valid for at least three months beyond your expected departure date. If you are coming from a country that needs a New Zealand visa to enter, be sure to apply in advance.

Different visas for New Zealand are possible depending on the reason and duration of your trip.

You must apply for a visa which depends on the purpose of your visit. We have listed the main visas offered by New Zealand to travelers.


Passengers arriving in New Zealand from October 1, 2019, must an ETA visa. It can be accessed via a mobile application, or on the internet via a website.

An IVL tax of 35 NZD (International Visitor Conservation Levy) must be paid at the same time when completing the ETA application form.


The request to NZeTA must be made before departure. Immigration must have accepted it as valid. We recommend that you do it at least a week before your departure date.
An NZeTA application is made via a mobile application or directly on the immigration site.


The IVL (International Tourism Levy for Visitors) is a mandatory tax to protect the environment and tourism development for all those who travel to New Zealand. The IVL is 35 NZD, billed at the same time as the NzeTA. The purpose of this tax is to participate in the development of tourism in New Zealand by funding environmental protection projects and improving tourism infrastructure.



If you want to stay longer than 3 months you will need to get a long-term visa, or “Visitor Visa”, before you arrive. The information and documents to be provided vary with the total length of stay.

The cost is around €150


The Working Holiday Visa (WHV), or Permis-Vacances-Travail, is a long-term visa intended for French or Belgian from 18- to 30-year-olds. It is used by travelers who want to visit New Zealand and also work there. The WHV is valid for one year and allows you to work for a short time, study at university. You can also use it to visit New Zealand and discover its culture. The cost is 165 NZ $.


The Student Visa is a visa that aims at applicants who want to study full time for more than 3 months in New Zealand. It is open to all. There is no age limit.


New Zealand’s migration policy is very favorable to people who want to come and settle in the country. In order to gain entry, the New Zealand authorities have issued a very large number of visas.

Who is affected by the New Zealand e-visa?

Any traveler who travels to New Zealand for tourism like, people who have a long-term visa for New Zealand such as the PVT. There are 60 visa-free countries to date (including France and Belgium) that need to apply for a visa before moving to New Zealand. If you are not a citizen of the visa-exempted countries, you’ll
need to apply for a regular visa.

On the same principle as ESTA in the United States, ETA will be valid for 2 years. People en route through New Zealand will also have to apply, even if New Zealand is not their final destination.