When to apply for a regular?

If you are not from a country eligible for a New Zealand ETA, your only option is a New Zealand regular visa.

The most common regular visas for traveling to New Zealand

Among the different types of visas that exist to access New Zealand, the three most common regular visas are the student visa, work and vacation, and tourist visa.

Tourist visa

This is the option if you are looking to come to New Zealand on vacation or for a short period.

There are two types of tourist visas: the tourist visa and the eVisitor visa, which is free and allows you to stay up to three months. It costs between $150 and $600 and allows you to stay up to 12 months in the country.

Useful information on the tourist visa:

  • Price of the visa: Depending on the option chosen. It is between $150 and $600.

  • Nationality: All citizens can obtain a tourist visa.

  • English level required: You do not need a minimum level of English.

  • Request mode: You must contact the New Zealand embassy in your home country and complete the request form given. Make sure your passport covers the entire period of your stay in New Zealand.

Can the tourist visa be used to work?

You cannot work with this visa, but you can study a course lasting less than three months.

Student Visa

The student visa is the most popular and ideal if you are looking to study in New Zealand while working part-time to pay for your stay.

To obtain a student visa, you will need to register for a recognized course that lasts at least 10 weeks. Your visa will cover the study period plus additional holidays, which will vary depending on the duration of the course you choose. For example, if you decide to study for a 6-month programming course, your visa could last 8 months.

Among its advantages, it appears that it is a visa without an age limit for the applicant, you do not have to prove a minimum level of English, also your partner can travel with you and work part-time.

Useful information on the student visa:

  • Visa price: $600.

  • Nationality: Depending on the nationality or personal profile of the applicant, the conditions for obtaining a student visa may vary. This is why it is so important to study each specific case in-depth and prepare a solid application.

  • English level required: If you come to study an English course, you will not need to accredit a level. If you are traveling with the plan to study a professional course, you must have at least a higher intermediate level of English.

  • How to Apply: Through the New Zealand Department of Immigration, after registering for an accredited course

Can you use the student visa to work?

Yes, with the student visa you can work part-time, up to twenty hours per week during the study period and up to forty hours during the holidays.

Work and vacation visa

The work and vacation visa provides you with a residence permit in New Zealand for one year. You can work (a maximum of six months for the same employer) and study (for three months). Of course, you have to take into account that it is a visa that is not available for all nationalities and for those in which it is available, some places are limited.

Minimum requirements to acquire Work and Vacation visa

  • You are between the ages of 18 and 30 years old. Although, there are rumors that this will soon be extended to 35 years of age.

  • Have an official English diploma

  • Have enough money to cover your stay in New Zealand.

  • Apply from outside New Zealand.

  • Do not be accompanied by a partner or children.

Can you use the work and vacation visa to work?

Yes of course. You can work twelve months in New Zealand, extendable to two years if you work more than three months (during your first year) in specific fields defined by the New Zealand government in jobs in tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry, or fishing. You can even get a third year of work and vacation visa if you still work six months in the fields and sectors already mentioned.